away for the weekend: five facts - empty nesting

Friday, October 19, 2012

five facts - empty nesting


Empty Nesting


So – it’s been a couple of weeks now that Greg and I officially became Empty-Nesters. With one daughter in Chicago and the other in an apartment nearby, this has been a time of adjustment. This week I am sharing 5 facts (observations) about our new – ahem – condition. 
1) We don’t live in a large house, but that doesn’t keep it from feeling too large. I’m just not sure what to do with so much empty space – do we really need two empty bedrooms and a rarely-used family room?


2) I can almost - almost - imagine what our house will look like without dirty coffee cups, shoes, and tote bags lying around everywhere. She is going to come back to take those things, too, right?


3) I am unexpectedly missing the cat. Don’t get me wrong, I knew I’d miss my daughter – but missing the cat took me just a teensy bit by surprise. I keep expecting her to jump on my lap whenever I sit on the couch to read. I should be happy – no litter box smell and all that – but…


4) Now that we spend our weekends in Vermont, and we have more space than we need at home – maybe it’s time to start thinking Condo? Maybe a condo near the beach? Just a thought…


5) Visiting my children in their own homes is kind of fun – a bit of a role switch. Now if I could just get them to host Thanksgiving dinner…
I am joining Reflection of You for Five Fact Friday
Thanks for dropping in!

13 comments:

  1. Awww, sweet post. I bet it's a hard transition to make. Hopefully your kids will host Thanksgiving for you now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am quite blessed in that my nearby dil usually hosts the holiday meals. There are 5 of them and only two of us so it works quite well for me! That beach shot is ....superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you'll get a volunteer for Thanksgiving dinner!!! Perhaps you two would enjoy looking at some condos at this time in your life. We don't have children, but after my mom passed away, we downsized drastically about 2 years ago. We love our small home/yard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet and funny post. cats do that to us ;) I live with four felines and they're a constant joy. I love them deeply. can't imagine my life without a cat! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is such a bittersweet time, isn't it? I remember when I took my daughter to college. The first night back home, I set three places ... for the two of us. But ... it does get better. There's a new kind of joy and peace. I promise! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of downsizing to a condo! As for the cat, well, now there's room for our black lab puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such sweet facts! I understand about the cat - even when my dogs are out for their haircuts, I still wait for them to jump from behind a door or chair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazingly, the first apartment I moved to in the town where my parents lived, I invited them over for Thanksgiving (healing their hurt feelings?) ... and as long as my parents were alive and I was living in the same town, it became the 'family tradition', Thanksgiving with me. I now continue the tradition with my sister's and their families ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter left the cat when she moved - I'm so glad she did!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great 5 facts. Condo by the beach sounds nice! Love your last image of the sea, gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, I love that beach picture! I definitely see a condo in your future. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would miss the cat terribly too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this made me smile. time to move into a condo and get your own cat. :)

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to hear from you -
Your comments make me smile!