away for the weekend: photo challenge #16 - path

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

photo challenge #16 - path

"Don't confuse your path with your destination;
just because it's stormy now, doesn't mean you aren't headed for sunshine."
unknown
                                                 
                                               
This prompt was definitely open for interpretation,
and I wasn't sure whether to approach it literally or symbolically,
- or maybe a blend of both.

I'm not actually going through a particularly stormy time,
but I feel that the quote is a good reminder - always - of life's ups and downs.
as well as a good fit for my photo
- which got me thinking -
wouldn't it be a good challenge to choose a quote or saying that has personal meaning
and then try to photograph it?
just a thought

Of the many quotes I read about "path", though,
unfortunately - the one that resonated the most with me is a Chinese proverb:
"I dreamed a thousand new paths. I woke and walked my old one."
Hmmm - not sure how I'd photograph that one...

It's the time of year in collegiate budgetland where my workday life is getting a bit hectic.
I've definitely walked this path before - but it gets a little easier each time.
My posts will likely be sporadic, but I will enjoy visiting yours!

And then - the words of J.R.R. Tolkien remind me that someday - new paths await:
"Still round the corner there may wait 
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I 
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the moon, East of the sun."

When you think of "path" what images come to your mind?

18 comments:

  1. I like not having a path. I love my wandering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walk your path but make sure to stop and take in the view. You might be surprised by what you see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'm a more literal type of person and I would love to run along that path way in your photo and see what the view is like!
    But then that just goes to prove how impatient I am too!
    Hope the work situation eases up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh karen, this was "deep" today but i loved the quotes. LOVE the image, it matches up perfectly with your story...

    my path - lot's of bumps in mine but i have always loved the journey...and the view!!!

    ps...i hope i did't but too much pressure on you for an update. sometimes i forget that you have a JOB and a REAL LIFE - i just miss seeing you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post, Karen!
    When I think of path, I feel fortunate for the path that I am on, even with the inevitable bumps we all have.
    My hope is that on my path, I do not walk too quickly to notice all of the little (and very wonderful) things.
    Happy day to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a HUGE path person. This one is fabulous! All the quotes are great, but I look forward to the J.R.R. Tolkien too. I think that my path is just starting even though it feels I have been slogging along forever. Every twist and turn brings new challenges both good and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen, Such a great picture. I'm happy with the path my life has taken...although I've slowed down quite a bit. I might just take a slow walk on your beautiful path!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always liked thinking about paths in both a specific and a general way - I like photographing them, too. A path never traveled offers a quickening of imagination and a hope of discovery. I like the thought that what you're experiencing/feeling at the moment on the path can change in an instant to something else. Enjoy spring, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful picture... enjoyed the quotes as well...


    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. So intriguing....Love this path with its zig-zagging rails and all the wonderful quotes. I like following my own path. It might take me into the brambles at times, but it always follows the light. I love the idea of trying to photograph a favorite quote! Hope things go smoothly for you at this busy time. Thank you for your very kind visits. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm like the bear who went over the mountain - does anybody remember that little nursery jingle? I'd love to climb this path of yours to see what I could see from the top of that hill! I always want to follow paths and see where they lead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to wander paths and see what I can discover. I also like to explore and make my own path. My path in life is a good one, I'm truly blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, lovely image and view. I feel like I want to walk that path now. Great quotes and post. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a wonderful path where I can take my wheelchair... I often imagine taking the path of woods and forest. Nice quotes on path

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tend to think of the path as being fixed though the exact details along the way are unknown . Thus my role as a caretaker now dealing with Alzheimers guided by our mottos...We're a team & keep on truckin..:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is definitely a beautiful image for the word "path" and I imagine that it will end at the ocean. When I think of path I see a narrow nature trail winding through hills with lush green vegetation and very old gnarly trees. Pretty much the path I walked along this afternoon...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely love all of these quotes and it is intriguing to think of photographing your favorite quote. Your photo is perfect, I think for this weeks quote. Happy April to you, and thank you so much for stopping by my blog. Do try that Durango Silverton train if you are ever in that part of Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  18. This scene looks very much like some of the paths in Nova Scotia that lead to beaches on the Atlantic Ocean.

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to hear from you -
Your comments make me smile!